A 10 year warranty from the date of unit manufacture against premature IGU seal failure due to faulty materials or poor workmanship attributable to The Smashing Glass Company (Nottingham) Ltd is offered for IGU installed in PVCu or aluminium glazing systems designed specifically to accept sealed units subject to conditions. It allows for supply only of a replacement sealed unit with a specification as close as possible to the original product and excludes liability for re-glazing charges. A replacement unit carries the unexpired part of the original unit warranty. The warranty applies only to products installed in normal business service conditions in the United Kingdom. This warranty is not part of any contract of sale but confers rights additional to those given at common law subject to these criteria
- Defects shall be found after inspection by us on site and to our satisfaction have arisen solely from our faulty design, workmanship or materials.
- The units have been properly handled, stored, installed and maintained prior to the appearance of the defect completely in accordance with Glass & Glazing Federation guidelines. Units installed in vehicles, shops, temperature cabinets, or over 800m altitude are not covered by this warranty.
- Notice in writing of the claimed defect shall be given to us immediately on its appearance clearly stating our original Delivery Note and Invoice Numbers.
- Units displaying the optical phenomenon known as Brewster’s Fringes shall not be regarded as defective.
- Our liability under a) to d) inclusive shall be to the exclusion of any other liability whether contractual, tortuous or otherwise for defects of any nature in the units, for any loss or damage to, or caused by the units. All other conditions, warranties, stipulations or other statements whatsoever concerning the units whether expressed or implied by statute, at common law or otherwise howsoever, is hereby excluded.
To obtain maximum life expectancy for sealed units moisture must prevented from entering the glazing rebate and lodging there. Both single glazing and DGU should be inspected at least annually and appropriate remedial action taken as necessary. Maintenance is the responsibility of the owner or user of the building and records of inspection and remedial action are required to validate warranty claims. Failure to ensure appropriate standards or lack of evidence of maintenance invalidates the warranty.
- The following common causes of premature unit failure are specifically excluded from this warranty.
- Installations where the glazing bead/upstand fails to cover the entire seal of the unit – as a guide this generally applies to upstands of less than 18mm.
- Sealed units that are not glazed and supported on all four sides.
- Sealed units whose edge seal is exposed to Ultra Violet light degradation by exposure to sunlight – all unit seals must be completely covered to prevent exposure to light.
- Sealed units installed in areas of high humidity, e.g. swimming pools, without specific written agreement being entered into before ordering.
Units installed in timber systems specifically designed for IGU carry a 2 year warranty. 12 month warranties apply to (a) thin cavity/low sightline “Heritage” units, (b) where beaded glazing is not possible, and/or (c) the frames are putty pointed.
Single glazed products have no warranty. Post-applied films have a 1 year warranty against bubbling, peeling, cracking, crazing or loss of solar control performance, thermal fracture is not covered by this warranty